Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Survey: Badakshan Province








We toured the hospital in Faizabad and no where could the condition for pregnant women get more stark. 14 women had been admitted the night before we came and 3 had died. Dr. Hajira took us to see a 4th woman who died within an hour of our visit. (second picture) It had taken two days to get her out of the mountains after her birth and she didn't make it. Dr. Hajira wanted us to witness her condition. I appreciated that. I struggle with how much pain and dispair I can tolerate to see in this impoverished country. But when I allow myself to simply be a witness- not require myself to respond I come to appreciate the profoundity of simply being willing to see and hear. For poor and desparate people in difficultly it is soothing to be seen instead of ignored and looked through.

It is hard to remember the days when contraception was controversial. Afghan women with no access to medical care-particularily in the provinces-are resigned to death by pregnancy. They can have up to 20 pregnancies in their lifetime-poor nutrition taking a toll on their bodies. And as many experiences here I am struck by the beauty of the people, the immediacy of life and death that is living here for the Afghan people.

Mahbouba forgets herself (and me) when she visits Afghan women. She loves them, kisses them, commiserates, and tells them how beautiful they are.

2 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marnie Gustavson!!!!
Wow unbelievable … you are a champion really and extremely…
I appreciate you for doing this hard work especially in Afghanistan’s far
Villages …… it is so difficult. By the way…
Keep working as u did over there and… and I proud of you.
God bless you Marnie Gustavson .!!!!


Habibullah Habib an afghan student in New Delhi, INDIA.

i will chech you weblog every day and i hope i can do it.

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home